The Phoenix Suns have two centers, Robin Lopez and Marcin Gortat. Three if you count Channing Frye but he's really a power forward...or maybe a shooting guard, depending on how you define such things. On local radio today, Alvin Gentry said that the starting job is up for grabs between Gortat and Lopez and he would love to have one of those guys step up and claim the job. Fortunately, we have 13 games of data to use since the trade to make some assumptions and help him decide which way to go.
Ready. Set. Analysis!
- In the 13 games since the trade, Robin Lopez played over 20 minutes in four of them (MIA, CLE, NJN, POR); Marcin Gortat played over 20 minutes in seven of them (LAC, PHI, DET, SAC, LAL, NJN, CLE); they both played over 20 minutes in one game (NJN); and three times they both played less than 20 minutes (NYK, DEN, NYK).
- Gortat has played a total of 308 minutes since the trade compared to 208 for Lopez.
- The Suns record is 3-1 in the Robin +20 min. games and 3-4 in the Gortat +20 min. games.
- Rebounding is a BIG difference between these two guys. Gortat is averaging 6.15 rebounds per game versus just 2.2 per game for Robin. But team rebounding tells a different story.
- In the four "Robin" games, the Suns are +1.0 in team rebounding while in the seven "Marcin" games they are -7.7. In the three games where neither played more than 20 minutes, the Suns are -7.3 in total rebounds.
- Channing Frye is averaging 8.3 rebounds per game in the "Robin" games versus 4.1 in the "Marcin" Games.
- Offensively, both guys are shooting 54 percent from the field but Gortat only has four more made field goals in an extra hundred minutes of total playing time. Robin creates more offense for himself.
- Robin is 11-25 (44%) in post up situations and 24-41 (58.5%) as the roll man. Marcin is 3-8 (37.5%) in post up's and 19-38 (50%) as the roll man. (Data via Synergy Sports).
- Robin is 17-20 (85 percent) from the free throw line while Marcin is 19-28 (68 percent).
- Offensively, the Suns averaged 106 points per game in the "Robin" games and 101.8 in the "Marcin" games and 107.7 in the games neither played over 20 minutes.
- Defensively, the Suns gave up 103.8 points per game in the "Robin" games and 100.9 in the "Marcin" games and 124.7 in the games neither played over 20 minutes.
- Gortat has a on court / off court rating of -15 while Robin Lopez is a +1.5. (Data via 82games.com).