The Arizona Cardinals continue to prepare for their Week 2 meeting with the Washington Redskins on Sunday. When the schedule came out, this looked like a fairly easy early season game but with the way the Redskins played in their opener against the Giants has changed some minds. The Cardinals are a four-point road underdog. A win in this game would be a pretty big accomplishment.
"They played a good game. They played very physically on defense. Moved the ball on offense and had some opportunities for some plays," Coach Ken Whisenhunt said about Washington's win over the New York Giants. "This will be a challenge for us."
The focus of preparation remains the defense, and specifically the secondary, which gave up far too many big plays down the field. Defensive coordinator reminded us, and himself, to be patient.
"It was very difficult. I had expectations for us. The thing I have to remember is our two starting corners, this will be their second start in their career. I've got to be patient, and I am. I learned a lot just from being patient that I've got two young kids starting corner in the National Football League," Horton said.
Patrick Peterson and A.J. Jefferson likely won't be tested quite as much against Rex Grossman and his core of good but not exceptional receivers.
Starting MLB Daryl Washington is still nursing a calf injury that kept him out of practice so far this week. Whisenhunt said he's making progress and will be evaluated as the week goes on and that he could be a game day decision. Learning to play despite not getting reps during the week is all part of the growth process according to Whiz, "That's what being a pro, being in the NFL is all about. He's a young player and hopefully he's learning the right way."
RB LaRod Stephens-Howling has the same official status as Washington (did not practice, will be evaluated) while Joey Porter (knee) was limited in practice after sitting out Tuesday. Other reported injuries include WR DeMarco Sampson (hamstring, DNP); CB Crezdon Butler (ankle, limited); TE Jim Dray (pectoral, limited); P Dave Zastudil (calf, limited).
For the Redskins, LB Keyaron Fox (back); S LaRon Landry (hamstring); and LB Brian Arakpo (ankle) were all listed as limited practice participants on Thursday.
- "The thing I was so comforted by was that during training camp they (Peterson and Jefferson) were perfect. You expect that all the time and you just have to realize that they are not going to be." -- Ray Horton
- "(Adrian) Wilson had a fantastic week of practice. He was phenomenal this week." -- Ray Horton
- "It's a passing league with the rules the way they are. That's why our games are so exciting. They're not 1-0 soccer games." -- Horton
- "One mistake on defense is big. One mistake on offense, who cares." -- Horton
- "Obviously, the first game didn't go the way any of us wanted it to go. But we're going to improve and get better, I know that and I can see it in the way that we're practicing. Hopefully, that will show up Sunday." -- Ken Whisenhunt
- "We had a comedy of errors in the back half." -- Whisenhunt
- "We were fortunate to get a win and that's a tribute to the players." -- Whisenhunt