Thursday night's Round 1 action kicked off with a flurry of activity. The pace of the 2011 NFL Draft was frenetic in the open 30 minutes as teams sprung into action to pick the prospects they've spent months evaluating. The list of names taken reads like a book of college football's finest, but in some cases the first round selections will be busts.
Conventional wisdom is to wait before declaring which picks are busts, but we buck convention wisdom all the time and do so again here today. We give you the complete list of the first round picks from the 2011 NFL Draft and tell you where the busts are
1 - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn, to the Carolina Panthers. (BUST, over-rated, clap clap clap)
2 - Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M, to the Denver Broncos
3 - Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama, to the Buffalo Bills.
4 - A,J. Green, WR, Georgia, to the Cincinnati Bengals. (BUST, Cincinnati is where wide receivers go to fail. Right, Chad?)
5 - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU to the Arizona Cardinals
6 Julio Jones, WR, Alabama, to the Atlanta Falcons in a trade with the Cleveland Browns. The Falcons gave up their 2011 second- and fourth-round pick, as well as a 2012 first- and fourth-round pick. (BUST - for the Falcons who game up too much)
7 Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri, to the San Francisco 49ers (Bust - he's be a decent player, but taken too high)
8 Jake Locker, QB, Washington, to the Tennessee Titans. (Bust - we watched this guy in the PAC-10. Not an no. 8 pick)
9.Tyron Smith, OT, USC to the Dallas Cowboys
10. Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri, to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a trade with the Washington Redskins. The Redskins get the 16th and 49th overall picks.
11. J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin, to the Houston Texans
12 Christian Ponder, QB Florida State, to the Minnesota Vikings. (Bust - simply because the building he plays in has no roof which is detrimental to a passing game in Minnesota)
13. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn, to the Detroit Lions. (Bust - as in he will be busting out of his pants in three years)
14 Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina, to the St. Louis Rams.
15. Mike Pouncey OL, Florida, to the Miami Dolphins (Bust - little brother syndrome will kill his career)
16. Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue, to the Washington Redskins
17. Nate Soldier, OT, Colorado, to the New England Patriots
18. Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois, to the San Diego Chargers
19. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska, to the New York Giants (Stud - Prince is the steal of the 1st round)
20. Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa, to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
21. Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor, to the Cleveland Browns in a trade with the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs pick up the No. 27 pick and the Browns' third-round selection.
22. Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College, to the Indianapolis Colts (Bust - not bright enough to keep up with Manning's audibles)
23. Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor, to the Philadelphia Eagles
24. Cameron Jordan, DE, California, to the New Orleans Saints
25. James Carpenter, OL, Alabama, to the Seattle Seahawks
26. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh, to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Ravens ran out of time and the Chiefs leapfrogged them. (Bust - if you are drafted on a 'pass' you are doomed from the start)
27. Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado, to the Baltimore Ravens
28. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama, to the New Orleans Saints. The New England Patriots will receive a 2012 first-round pick. (Bust - not good enough to be drafted in the first round)
29. Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin, to the Chicago Bears
30. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple, to the New York Jets (Bust - shouldn't have leap frogged Brooks Reed)
31. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State, to the Pittsburgh Steelers
32. Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State, to the Green Bay Packers