The biggest local Arizona winner happened to be Matt Grevers, whose swim club is in Tucson. Grevers ended up winning three medals, including an Olympic record in the 100-meter backstroke to win gold, while also winning gold in the 4 x 100 meter individual medley relay and a silver in the 4 x 100 meter freestyle relay.
Will Claye was also among the top performers by managing the rare feat of medalling in both the long jump (bronze) and the triple jump (silver).
On the men's basketball court, James Harden (who played for Arizona State) and Andre Iguodala (former Arizona Wildcat) contributed to the United States men's national team winning gold as they ran through their schedule undefeated all the way to winning the gold medal match over Spain.
Other big winners from the Arizona region.
- Amy LePeilbet (ASU grad) was a defender for the gold medal-winning United States women's national team.
- Brady Ellison of Glendale grabbed a silver medal as part of the United States team in the archery events.
- Breeja Larson from Mesa won a gold for swimming the prelims of the 4 x 100 meter indivdiual medley relay.
- Brigetta Barrett from Arizona grabbed a silver medal in the women's high jump.
- Caitlin Leverenz from Tucson won the bronze medal in swimming in the women's 200 meter indivdiual medley.
- Diana Taurausi (who plays for the Phoenix Mercury) was part of the US women's basketball team that cruised to another gold.
- Nick Thoman from the University of Arizona won a silver in the 100 meter backstroke and a gold for running the prelims in the 4 x 100 medley for the United States.
Check out SI.com's Medal Tracker for a look at every country's medal standing thus far.
Stick with this StoryStream for more coverage of local athletes at the 2012 Olympic Games. For more on the 2012 Olympic Games, make sure that you check out SB Nation's dedicated Olympics hub.