With the 23rd pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama.
Their offense set except for perhaps a need for some help at running back, in recent years an unsettled spot for the Lions, Detroit should look long and thoroughly at its secondary and get some talent at cornerback. If the pass rush can't get to Aaron Rodgers, maybe the defensive backs can pick him off a little more often.
Chris Houston is already in and Jacob Lacey was a free agent pickup from Indianapolis, but Janoris Jenkins is a real talent who could make an immediate impact. Jenkins comes with some baggage -- he's had run-ins with the law and apparently makes no bones about his pastime of smoking marijuana -- but could be a steal at this pick in the draft.
Jenkins is 5-10, 192 pounds, but he's faced the best of the best in the SEC even though he had to transfer to North Alabama after being dismissed from the Florida program after three arrest and a failed drug test. He's had 4.4-40 type of speed, isn't afraid to mix it up with bigger receivers and could be the most talented player at his position in the draft.
Jenkins is good enough to start in the NFL, but the Lions will have to have done their homework on him and decide he's worth the risk in the first round. Will character issues supersede a need for playmaking ability at the position, or will the Lions be able to overlook those and take a chance that could pay major dividends?
The Pittsburh Steelers are now on the clock. Brad Denny will make the pick.
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Carolina Panthers: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
10. Buffalo Bills: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi
12. Seattle Seahawks: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
14. Dallas Cowboys: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
15. Philadelphia Eagles: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
16. New York Jets: Andre Branch, DE, Clemson
17. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Floyd, WR, Note Dame
18. San Diego Chargers: Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
19. Chicago Bears: Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
20. Tennessee Titans: Stephon Gilmore, CB,South Carolina
21. Cincinnati Bengals: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
22. Cleveland Browns: Kendall Wright, WR Baylor
For the latest AZ sports, follow us on Twitter @SBNArizona and "Like" us on Facebook.