With the 16th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Andre Branch, DE/OLB, Clemson.
Conventional wisdom with how this version of the NFL Draft has fallen would havethe New York Jets selecting Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw or Notre Dame WRMichael Floyd. That's not happening here. Upshaw reminds me of a younger version ofcurrent Jets OLB Bryan Thomas - a solid linebacker, who sets the edge. When watchingUpshaw I don't see a burst that makes him an elite pass rusher.
Floyd is a dynamic prospect with off field issues. Wide receiver is the deepest position inthis draft so the value of taking a WR at this point doesn't make sense to me.
The guy I will take for the Jets is Clemson DE/OLB Andre Branch. Branch isn't aspolished as Upshaw, who comes from Nick Saban's system, but he has more upside asa dynamic pass rusher. The Jets have been trying to fill that role ever since they tradedJohn Abraham.
The Cincinnati Bengals are now on the clock. Cody Ulm will make the selection.
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6. St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Carolina Panthers: Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina.
10. Buffalo Bills: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi
12. Seattle Seahawks: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
14. Dallas Cowboys: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
15. Philadelphia Eagles: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama