The UFC held its inaugural card on FUEL TV last night at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Nebraska. Jake Ellenberger defeated Diego Sanchez by unanimous decision in the main event of the evening.
Ellenberger (27-5) won the first two rounds convincingly, cutting Sanchez's nose open and landing vicious elbows in the second round after a takedown.
In the third round, Sanchez (23-5) got Ellenberger to the ground and was laying some serious ground and pound, cutting Ellenberger across the nose. However, Ellenberger was able to hold on and picked the unanimous decision.
Ellenberger has now one six fights in a row since is loss to Carlos Condit in his UFC debut. The loss snaps a two fight win streak for Sanchez.
Former Arizona State wrestler Aaron Simpson (11-3) lost a split decision to Brazilian Ronny Markes (13-1). Simpson knocked down Markes in the first round and came close to getting a stoppage. However, Markes was able to fend off Simpson long enough to finish the round and went on to get the close decision victory.
"Fight of the Night" went to Sanchez and Ellenberger. Ivan Menjivar was awarded "Submission of the Night" for his first round rear-naked choke of John Albert. "Knockout of the Night" went to Stipe Miocic for his KO of Philip De Fries.
Full Results of UFC on FUEL TV:
- Jake Ellenberger def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Stefan Struve def. Dave Herman via TKO (punches) - Round 2, 3:52
- Ronny Markes def. Aaron Simpson via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-29)
- Stipe Miocic def. Philip De Fries via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 0:43
- T.J. Dillashaw def. Walel Watson via unanimous decision (30-25, 20-25, 30-26)
- Ivan Menjivar def. John Albert via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:45
- Jonathan Brookins def. Vagner Rocha via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 1:32
- Justin Salas def. Anton Kuivanen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Tim Means def. Bernardo Magalhaes via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-27)
*- The fight between Buddy Roberts and Sean Loeffler was cancelled because Loeffler sprained his ankle in warm-ups and could not fight. Roberts was paid his show money and win bonus, and Loeffler was paid his show money.