clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Arizona Bowl Projections: Where Are The Wildcats Headed?

After losing two consecutive games, the Arizona Wildcats dropped quickly in the BCS rankings, where they currently sit at 22nd overall. With a 7-3 record, the Wildcats still have plenty of possibilities for bowl bids, but where they go depends heavily on how Oregon does for the rest of the season.

Here are the Pac-10 bowl tie-ins for 2010:

  • #1 Bowl Championship Series: Should the Oregon Ducks complete the regular season undefeated, they will play in the National Championship game held in Glendale, Arizona on January 10th, 2011.
  • #2 The Alamo Bowl: Since the Stanford Cardinal have a fanbase that doesn't travel well, it is unlikely that they would receive an at-large BCS bid. Teams such as the Ohio St. Buckeyes and the Nebraska Cornhuskers are much more attractive for BCS inclusion based on their large fanbases and desire to support the team. The Alamo Bowl will be where Stanford ends up.
  • #3 The Holiday Bowl: This is where it starts to get more interesting for the Wildcats, as they currently sit tied in third place in the Pac-10 with a 4-3 record. The Oregon St. Beavers defeated the USC Trojans on Saturday evening, and taking the Beavers' victory over UofA into consideration, this currently brings OSU to San Diego.
  • #4 The Sun Bowl: Currently, Arizona is projected to play in the Sun Bowl, located in El Paso, Texas. The Wildcats are projected to take on the N.C. State Wolfpack, who will lose to the Virginia Tech Hokies in the ACC Championship Game.
  • #5 The Maaco Bowl: If Arizona manages to lose their final two games against Oregon and ASU, they might end up in the Maaco Bowl. This bowl usually receives the Mountain West champion, but since the TCU Horned Frogs are projected to play in the Rose Bowl, the San Diego St. Aztecs will earn the spot. Most likely, however, this will be the Washington Huskies' bowl game (unless they lose to Cal next weekend, in which case the Golden Bears will be selected).
  • #6 The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl: Finally, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. Taking place in scenic AT&T Park in San Francisco, any of Washington, California, or UCLA could end up here. It's possible that none of them will, forcing a waiver exemption from the NCAA. That's how bad it is this season for the Pac-10.

Official projection for the Arizona Wildcats:

Final record: 8-4 (5-4)

Bowl Projection: The Holiday Bowl, 75% chance; The Sun Bowl, 15% chance; The Alamo Bowl, 10% chance.

Logic: Oregon State, while currently occupying third overall in the Pac-10, plays Stanford and Oregon to finish their season. There is a high likelihood that they will lose both of those games, which would drop them out of bowl contention entirely.

California and Washington play each other next weekend, and the loser of that contest is out of bowl contention as well. Despite the losing streak, the Wildcats are in great shape to head to a good bowl this winter, taking on Texas A&M in San Diego. In the unexpected case that Stanford is selected for an at-large BCS bid, the Wildcats will be in the Alamo Bowl.

For a complete bowl schedule and other bowl projections, check out SBNation.com.