Feb. 20, 2012; Phoenix, AZ, USA; Phoenix Suns forward Markieff Morris during game against the Washington Wizards at the US Airways Center. The Suns defeated the Wizards 104-88. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-US PRESSWIRE
The Suns head to Las Vegas in a week with for a five game stint in the Summer League. Here is the schedule, roster, and details.
The Phoenix Suns roster has been released for the Las Vegas Summer League beginning Friday, June 13th. The Suns first game is not until Sunday and here is the roster they will carry with them in Sin City:
- Diante Garrett - Iowa State
- Matt Gatens - Iowa
- Matt Howard - Butler
- Akos Keller - Hungary
- Marcus Landry - Wisconsin
- David Lighty - Ohio State
- Kendall Marshall - North Carolina
- Tasmin Mitchell - LSU
- Markieff Morris - Kansas
- Patrick O'Bryant - Bradley
- Doron Perkins - Santa Clara
- Jacob Pullen - Kansas State
- DeShawn Sims - Michigan
- PJ Tucker - Texas
- Erving Walker - Florida
Dan Majerle will act as head coach for the event as he has done for the past few years after joining the Suns coaching staff in 2008. Obviously Marshall and Morris are going to be the focus as the only two players signed to the Suns next year and the teams last two lottery picks.
Garrett is an interesting name as a combo guard that can score. He is most effective with the ball as a natural point guard. With Marshall and Goran Dragic on tap after this off-season he is a long shot to make the Suns, but should be on an NBA roster in 2012.
With a lack of perimeter scorers in this group it speaks to the team not being very interested in adding any of them to the season roster. There happens to be an abundance of point guards in Gatens, Perkins, Pullen, and Walker.
Other names on here that are interesting and recognizable are former Ohio State starter David Lighty who is similar to Jared Dudley as a wing defender, but not an elite athlete. Howard was the starter on both Butler National Runner-Up teams.
Then you have Walker who was a tough undersized point guard for Florida, but is most famous for dining and dashing from a taco vender.
The team plays five total games over the week in Vegas.
- Sunday, July 15th v. the New York Knicks at 1 p.m. local time
- Tuesday, July 17th v. the Cleveland Cavaliers at 5:30 p.m. local time
- Wednesday July 18th v. the New Orleans Hornets at 5:30 p.m. local time
- Friday July 20th v. the D-League Select Team at 7 p.m. local time
- Saturday July 21st v. the Memphis Grizzlies at 7 p.m. local time