Day 8 of the 2012 London Olympic Games is in the books, and Team USA took their shot at many of the day's 25 gold medals. Tuscon's Matt Greavers was among the athletes who succeeded, picking up a gold medal in the men's 4x100m medley relay swimming event. Phoenix native Will Claye added a bronze medal to Team USA's total in the men's long jump event.
Serena Williams earned a gold medal in women's singles tennis action with a victory over Maria Sharapova, and Mike and Bob Bryan added another gold in men's doubles tennis. Swimmers continued to be some of Team USA's most successful athletes, with the women's 4x100m medley relay team picking up a gold to match the men's team.
Team USA men's basketball was in action, and they were almost caught sleeping by a determined Lithuanian team. LeBron James helped lead a fourth quarter drive that secured the game for the U.S., and they remain 4-0 in preliminary play. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings were in action in women's beach volleyball, and they advanced in that tournament with a win over the Netherlands.
A full list of the medals won by Team USA on Saturday:
- Women's 100m - Carmelita Jeter, Silver
- Men's long jump - Will Claye, Bronze
- Men's 10,000m - Galen Rupp, Silver
- Women's team pursuit cycling - Silver
- Women's team epee fencing - Bronze
- Men's four rowing - Bronze
- Women's 50m rifle 3 positions shooting - Jamie Lynn Gray, Gold
- Women's 4x100m medley relay swim - Gold
- Men's 4x100m medley relay swim - Gold
- Women's singles tennis - Serena Williams, Gold
- Men's doubles tennis - Mike & Bob Bryan, Gold