Trevor Bauer will be making his first major league start for the Arizona Diamondbacks on Thursday against the Atlanta Braves. Bauer has been terrific at Triple-A striking out 11.3 per nine innings with a 2.82 ERA. The walks are definitely an issue; he walked 4.4 batters per nine innings. With the injuries to Joe Saunders and Daniel Hudson, Bauer is no longer a luxury, the D'Backs need him to be good right away. The Diamondbacks are now only five games behind the first place Los Angeles Dodgers. The division is within striking distance. Onto this week's power rankings...
- Texas Rangers 46-29: Have won eight of their last 10 games. Yu Darvish and Matt Harrison have combined for 20 of the Rangers 46 wins.
- New York Yankees 45-28: New York is 17-5 in the month of June. Have bounced back from a three game losing streak with four straight wins.
- Washington Nationals 42-30: Bryce Harper is in a major slump. The past 10 games his average has dropped from .289 to .278.
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 41-33: If they sweep the Baltimore Orioles the Angels will have the third best record in the AL. Pretty impressive after their horrible start.
- Cincinnati Reds 41-32: Talked about Joey Votto was due to cool down in the last power rankings. In his last five games Votto is 2-15 with one home run, two RBIs and six strikeouts.
- Baltimore Orioles 41-32: Shock and awe moment when I turned on MLB 2K12 and with the updated rosters Adam Jones is a freaking 96.
- Tampa Bay Rays 40-34: Barely holding off the Boston Red Sox for third place in the AL East. Only a one game lead.
- San Francisco Giants 42-33- They are still a game behind the Dodgers, but the Giants are clearly the better team.
- Los Angeles Dodgers 43-32: I'm not sure free fall is a strong enough description of what is going on with the Dodgers right now. They have lost eight of their last 10 games.