Nate Diaz became the first man to finish Jim Miller, as Diaz submitted Miller in the second round of their lightweight fight. The bout served as the main event for UFC on FOX 3 which took place from the IZOD Center in East Rutherford NJ on Saturday night.
In the first round, both men used their entire striking skills as the fight stayed on the feet for most of the round. Both men did good work inside the clinch, and with punches and kicks. Diaz landed over 30 strikes on Miller in the clinch and dropped Miller with a left-hand with just over 40 seconds go to in the first round. The two men scrambled on the ground for the remainder of round.
Diaz began taunting Miller midway through the second round, while he continued to dominate Miller in the clinch, bloodying the lightweight contender. With just over a minute to go in the second round, Diaz got Miller to the ground and locked in a guillotine choke. The official time of the stoppage came at 4:09 of the second round.
In the co-main event of the evening, Johny Hendricks defeated Josh Koscheck by a thin split decision. Hendricks allowed Kosheck to the be agressor early on in the fight and countered nicely. Hendricks became more agressive in the second round, and landed a takedown on Koscheck. In the end, Hendricks was awarded the split decision, vaulting him into series title contention.
UFC on FOX 3 drew a reported attendance of 10,788 for a live gate of $1.1 million. "Fight of the Night" was awarded to Louis Gaudinot and John Lineker for their flyweight scrap. "Knockout of the Night" went to heavyweight Lavar Johnson for his first round KO of Pat Barry. Nate Diaz was awarded "Submission of the Night" for his guillotine of Jim Miller.
Full fight night results:
- Nate Diaz def. Jim Miller via submission (guillotine) - Round 2, 4:09
- Johny Hendricks def. Josh Koscheck via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Alan Belcher def. Rousimar Palhares via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 4:18
- Lavar Johnson def. Pat Barry via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 4:38
- Michael Johnson def. Tony Ferguson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- John Dodson def. Tim Elliot via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- John Hathaway def. Pascal Krauss via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Louis Gaudinot def. John Lineker via technical submission (guillotine) - Round 2, 4:54
- Danny Castillo def. John Cholish via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dennis Bermudez def. Pablo Garza via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Roland Delorme def. Nick Denis via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 4:59
- Karlos Vemola def. Mike Massenzio via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 1:07