SB Nation Arizona
Stay connected for news and updates Follow @sbnarizona
Like us to subscribe
Now that UFC on FUEL TV 1 is over, we look foreword to future UFC events. There are five fights that I would make if I was Joe Silva (UFC Matchmaker).
1. Carlos Condit vs. Jake Ellenberger: I know that the UFC came out and said this week that Condit will wait for Georges St-Pierre. That is probably the right move seeing has Condit was supposed to face St-Pierre in the fall, when an injury forced GSP off the card, Condit was replaced by Nick Diaz. If Condit fights again before St-Pierre, it should be against Ellenberger. I know Condit beat Ellenberger in 2009, but it was a split decision loss and Ellenberger has been on a tear since, going 6-0 with four knockout victories. Ellenberger has beaten two top ten welterweights in Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez and has proven that he belongs with the best in the welterweight division.
2. Stefan Struve vs. Winner of Cheick Kongo/Mark Hunt: Struve was very impressive at UFC on FUEL TV 1, getting his second straight victory. Struve has now won four of his last five fights and has finished all of those victories. Struve is 7-3 in the UFC despite only being 23-years-old. Kongo and Hunt battle at UFC 144, both of those fighters are ridding winning streaks and the winner of that fight should meet Struve in a fight that will elevate the winner into the upper tier of UFC heavyweights.
3. T.J. Dillashaw vs. Alex Caceres: Dillashaw picked up his first UFC win with an impressive unanimous decision victory at UFC on FUEL TV 1. Dillashaw did not lose a round and looks to continue his climb up the UFC bantamweight ranks. Caceres looks like the perfect guy to do that against. Caceres is 1-3 in the UFC including two submission losses. Caceres has a good style matcup for Dillashaw, it could also serve Dillashaw well to face a guy who is fighting for his job like Caceres may be doing.
4. Jonathan Brookins vs. Mike Brown: Brookins had an impressive knockout victory at UFC on FUEL TV 1, improving his record to 2-1 inside the UFC. Brookins' only loss in the promotion came by decision against Eric Koch. Brown got his UFC career back on track with a win over Nam Phan in August of 2011. Brown is a veteren with 33 career fights and should test Brookins.
5. Aaron Simpson vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller: Simpson snapped a three fight winning streak against Ronny Markes at UFC on FUEL TV 1. In his UFC career, Simpson has proved he can defeat guys he should, but when he steps up in competition, he falters. Miller had one of the most disappointing UFC debuts in recent memory, getting dismantled by Michael Bisping in December. A win against Simpson can get his UFC career on track. If Simpson defeats Miller, he finally gets a victory over a big name opponent.
Ellenberger (27-5) won the first two rounds convincingly, cutting Sanchez's nose open and landing vicious elbows in the second round after a takedown.
In the third round, Sanchez (23-5) got Ellenberger to the ground and was laying some serious ground and pound, cutting Ellenberger across the nose. However, Ellenberger was able to hold on and picked the unanimous decision.
Ellenberger has now one six fights in a row since is loss to Carlos Condit in his UFC debut. The loss snaps a two fight win streak for Sanchez.
Former Arizona State wrestler Aaron Simpson (11-3) lost a split decision to Brazilian Ronny Markes (13-1). Simpson knocked down Markes in the first round and came close to getting a stoppage. However, Markes was able to fend off Simpson long enough to finish the round and went on to get the close decision victory.
"Fight of the Night" went to Sanchez and Ellenberger. Ivan Menjivar was awarded "Submission of the Night" for his first round rear-naked choke of John Albert. "Knockout of the Night" went to Stipe Miocic for his KO of Philip De Fries.
Full Results of UFC on FUEL TV:
*- The fight between Buddy Roberts and Sean Loeffler was cancelled because Loeffler sprained his ankle in warm-ups and could not fight. Roberts was paid his show money and win bonus, and Loeffler was paid his show money.
The UFC continues its busy stretch in 2012 as the promotion puts on its first show on FUEL TV tonight. The UFC puts on an unusual Wednesday night card as welterweights Jake Ellenberger (26-5) and Diego Sanchez (25-4) battle in the main event.
The evening begins at 4:20 PM with preliminary fights on Facebook. Just click "Like" on the UFC's Facebook page to view the fights. SIx fighters will make their UFC debuts on the Facebook card including: Buddy Roberts, Justin Salas and Tim Means.
"The Ultimate Fighter" season 12 winner Jonathan Brookins (12-4) faces Vanger Rocha on the Facebook preliminary card. Brookins lost to Eric Koch in September of 2011 in his last fight. Rocha (7-2) is 1-1 in the UFC and is making his featherweight debut.
At 6 PM, the action shifts over to FUEL TV with a six fight main card. T.J Dillashaw (5-1) faces Walel Watson (9-3) in a bantamweight bout. The main card also features two heavyweight bouts, Stefan Struve faces Dave Herman in the co-main event and Stipe Miocic battles with Philip De Fries.
Aaron Simpson (11-2) , fighting out of Power MMA in Gilbert, faces Ronny Markes (12-1) in a middleweight contest. Simpson, the former Arizona State All-American wrestler, has one three fights in a row since a loss to Mark Munoz in 2010. Simpson spent nine seasons as an assistant wrestling coach for the Sun Devils after compiling 110 wins in his wrestling career.
Full bout list with odds and predictions below:
Main Card (6 PM- FUEL TV):
Welterweight: Jake Ellenberger (-325) vs. Diego Sanchez (+250)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Ellenberger via knockout
Heavyweight: Stefan Struve (+115) vs. Dave Herman (-145)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Struve via knockout
Middleweight: Aaron Simpson (-115) vs. Ronny Markes (-115)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Simpson via unanimous decision
Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic (-500) vs. Philip De Fries (+350)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Miocic via unanimous decision
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Watson via knockout
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Menjivar via knockout
Preliminary Card (4:20 PM- Facebook):
Featherweight: Jonathan Brookins (-225) vs. Vanger Rocha (+175)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Rocha via submission
Middleweight: Buddy Roberts (-160) vs. Sean Loeffler (+130)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Roberts via unanimous decision
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Salas via submission
Lightweight: Tim Means (EV) vs. Bernardo Magalhaes (-130)
SB Nation Arizona Predicts: Means via unanimous decision
For full fight night coverage follow MMA Fighting
Diego Sanchez and Jake Ellenberger both made weight ahead of their anticipated welterweight showdown at the main event of UFC on FUEL TV 1. Sanchez and Ellenberger both tipped the scales at 170-pounds (the welterweight limit).
All 20 fighters made weight for the card that takes place at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Nebraska.
Ellenberger, a native of Nebraska, seemed enthused to be fighting in front of his hometown. "It's definitely exciting to come back here and be around my friends and family," said Ellenberger. Ellenberger (as usual) is looking for a quick night. "I'm coming in here to finish him."
Full Weigh-In results listed below:
Main Card (FUEL TV):
Welterweight: Jake Ellenberger (170) vs. Diego Sanchez (170)
Preliminary Card (Facebook):
Official weigh-ins for UFC on Fuel TV will be held at 5 p.m. ET/3 p.m. MT at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Nebraska. Highlighting today's weigh-ins will be UFC President Dana White, welterweight contenders Jake Ellenberger and Diego Sanchez, as well as the rest of Wednesday's fight card. All fighters are required to meet their division's weight limit, with a one pound allowance given to non-title competitors.
Catch live video of all the action today on the video player below. For more, check out MMA Fighting, SB Nation's home for mixed martial arts.
UFC on Fuel TV takes place February 15th, 2012 at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Nebraska. The UFC on Fuel TV fight card is as follows:
Welterweight: Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Ellenberger
Heavyweight: Stefan Struve vs. Dave Herman
Middleweight: Aaron Simpson vs. Ronny Markes
Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic vs. Philip De Fries
Bantamweight: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Walel Watson
Bantamweight: Ivan Menjivar vs. John Albert
Preliminary card (Facebook)
Featherweight: Jonathan Brookins vs. Vagner Rocha
Middleweight: Buddy Roberts vs. Sean Loeffler
Lightweight: Anton Kuivanen vs. Justin Salas
Lightweight: Tim Means vs. Bernardo Magalhaes
Jake Ellenberger faces Diego Sanchez in the main event of the UFC on FUEL TV on Wednesday night. Aaron Simpson, fighting out of Gilbert, Arizona, fights on the main card against Ronny Markes.