The UFC started off 2012 with a bang as all five main card fights of UFC 142 ended with finishes of some kind. Jose Aldo defended his UFC Featherweight Title with a knockout of Chad Mendes and Vitor Belfort defeated Anthony Johnson by a first round submission to highlight an action filled night.
Aldo was dominant to say the least. He landed vicious leg kicks on Mendes at will and stuffed Mendes' many takedown attempts. The knockout came just as round one was ending, Aldo fought his way out of a clinch and landed a kick to Mendes on the way out. Aldo quickly came in and finished Mendes with the official time of the stoppage, 4:59 of round one. Aldo then preceded to jump out of the cage and into the Brazilian crowd after his victory in celebration.
Vitor Belfort submitted Anthony Johnson in the evening's co-main event. Johnson came out firing and attempted to take Belfort down multiple times in the opening minutes. Referee Dan Miragliotta stood the fighters up multiple times during the first round when the action had stalled. When Johnson attempted another take down, Belfort stopped it and quickly took the back of Johnson. After some elbow strikes, Belfort locked in a rear-naked choke at the time of 4:45 of the first round.
Johnson was released later that night from the UFC. This was the third time that Johnson failed to make weight for a fight in the UFC. Johnson weighed in on Friday at 197-pounds, 11 pounds over the middleweight limit.
Silva seemed to have an impressive knockout victory as he finished his opponent, Carlo Prater, in 29 seconds. However referee Mario Yamasaki ruled that Silva had hit Prater behind the head, forcing the knockout of Prater. This lead the disqualifaction of Silva and a vitory for Prater. The decision was controversial and Silva was paid his win bonus by the UFC.
Rousimar Palhares earned "Submission of the Night" with his heel hook victory over Mike Massenzio. Barboza took home two "Fight Night" bonuses. "Knockout of the Night" for his highlight reel KO of Terry Etim, and Barboza and Etim were awarded "Fight of the Night." Bonuses were $65,000 each.
Full results listed below.
- Jose Aldo def. Chad Mendes via knockout (knees and punches) - Round 1, 4:59 to retain title
- Vitor Belfort def. Anthony Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 4:45
- Rousimar Palhares def. Mike Massenzio via submission (heel hook) - Round 1, 1:03
- Carlo Prater def. Erick Silva via disqualification (illegal punches) - Round 1, 0:29
- Edson Barboza def. Terry Etim via knockout (spinning heel kick) - Round 3, 2:02
- Thiago Tavares def. Sam Stout via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Gabriel Gonzaga def. Ednaldo Oliveira via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:22
- Yuri Alcantara def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision (30-27, 20-27, 29-28)
- Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Funch via TKO (knees and punches) - Round 1, 3:22
- Felipe Arantes def. Antonio Carvalho via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)