The 2011 MLB Draft less than a week away and on June 6 we will find out which of the experts had the most success with their Mock Draft boards. Some have UCLA flamethrower Garrit Cole going first to the Pirates but that opinion is by far a consensus. Other MLB Mock Draft boards have Cole falling as far as fifth place to the Royals with third baseman Anthony Rendon from Rice taking over the top spot. Most of the mock drafts, however, seem to agree that the Diamondbacks will take Virginia's left-handed pitcher, Danny Hultzen with the third pick.
In honor of the Diamondbacks' holding the third and seventh overall picks, here's a recap of the top seven picks from several 2011 MLB Mock Drafts:
SB Nation's own John Sickels has Rendon going first, Cole second and the D-backs taking Hultzen with the third pick.
2011 Baseball Mock Draft, Mark II - Minor League Ball
1) Pirates: Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice: It's not a sure thing, but I still think it will happen.
2) Mariners: Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA: As with Rendon, this isn't a sure thing but the attributes that attracted scouts to Cole in the first place are still here.
3) Diamondbacks: Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia. Everyone still thinks this will happen, and I agree.
4) Orioles: Dylan Bundy, RHP, Oklahoma HS:
5) Royals: Jed Bradley, LHP, Georgia Tech.
6) Nationals: Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA:
7) Diamondbacks (failure to sign Barret Loux): Alex Meyer, RHP, Kentucky. His stock has been rising as scouts are increasingly convinced that the gains he made with his command this year will stick.
ESPN's Keith Law has Cole first, Rendon second and Hultzen third. Just five days before the 2011 MLB Draft, Law doesn't seem convinced about Cole who's had a pretty unimpressive season with the Bruins.
2011 MLB mock draft: Gerrit Cole goes to the Pittsburgh Pirates - ESPN
1- Pittsburgh Pirates Gerrit Cole, RHP, UCLA The Pirates are still seriously on Danny Hultzen and Bubba Starling, and I wouldn't rule Anthony Rendon out entirely, but my gut tells me right now they'll find Cole's raw stuff -- he hit 101 for me on Friday night and touched 100 many times, including in the eighth inning -- too good to pass up.
2- Seattle Mariners Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice
3- Arizona Diamondbacks Danny Hultzen, LHP, Virginia
4- Baltimore Orioles Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso (Okla.) HS
5- Kansas City RoyalsMatt Barnes, RHP, UConn
6- Washington Nationals Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA
7- Arizona Diamondbacks Sonny Gray, RHP, Vanderbilt
Baseball America goes with Rendon and then mixes things up by dropping Cole to fifth and putting high school outfield prospect Bubba Starling second. Once again, Hultzen goes third.
BaseballAmerica.com: Draft: Mock Draft: May 27 Mock Draft (List Only): Anthony Rendon Moves Into Top Spot
1. PIRATES: Anthony Rendon, 3b, Rice.
2. MARINERS: Bubba Starling, of, Gardner-Edgerton HS, Gardner, Kan.
3. DIAMONDBACKS: Danny Hultzen, lhp, Virginia.
4. ORIOLES: Dylan Bundy, rhp, Owasso (Okla.) HS.
5. ROYALS: Gerrit Cole, rhp, UCLA. 6. NATIONALS: Trevor Bauer, rhp, UCLA.
7. DIAMONDBACKS: Javier Baez, ss, Arlington Country Day School, Jacksonville, Fla.
Here's a couple more mocks drafts. Yahoo! goes Rendon, Cole and Hultzen and then My MLB Draft goes with Law's top three order of Cole, Rendon, Hultzen.
Minor Developments: 2011 MLB Mock Draft, Part 1 - Fantasy - Yahoo! Sports
1. Pirates: Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice: The top position prospect in the draft, he draws comparisons to Evan Longoria(notes) and Ryan Zimmerman(notes). Pedro Alvarez(notes) moves across the diamond in two years, filling the void at first base. Organizational Needs: SP, 1B Top Prospects: SP-Jameson Taillon, SP-Stetson Allie, C-Tony Sanchez
2011 MLB Mock Draft | 2011 MLB Draft | MLB Draft Results | 2011 baseball mock draft
Draft#:1 Gerrit Cole Ht/Wt: 6-4/220 lbs Position: RHP School: UCLA Draft#:2 Anthony Rendon Ht/Wt: 5-11/180 lbs Position: 3B School: Rice Draft#:3 Danny Hultzen Ht/Wt: 6-3/200 lbs Position: LHP School: Virginia
Stay tuned for actual results from the 2011 MLB Draft which starts on June 6.