Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss, one of the great poets and brilliant minds of all time. Theodor Seuss Geisel was born in 1904 in Springfield, MA to German immigrants who ran a brewery. Thanks to the good doctor, we now know what happens when you raise your child in Massachusetts in a German brewing family: Green Eggs and Ham.
In honor of the great man's work lets see what kind of connections we can make between his wicked rhymes and sports.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells."
This obviously is something that J.R. Smith tells himself every morning as he looks in the mirror and admires his wonderful tattoos and ponders what kind of basketball player he will be that day.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
Clearly this is a Steve Nash reference. Who else has more brains in their feet steering himself in any and every direction including straight out of Phoenix this summer. Where will he go? Only his feet might know.
"A person's a person, no matter how small."
Earl Boykins, enough said.
"If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too."
When I read this quote, I think of Shaq. Shaq is a guy to just goes right along with things but always manages to make stuff happen on his own time. Like this.
"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"
Barry Bonds bring his big bat straight into trouble this week. Court trouble. We wonder if he's got Dr. Suess on his mind as he ponders his future in jail? Probably he's more concerned about trouble coming from behind.
Here's some other Dr. Seuss quotes. Feel free to make your own sports connections.
- "I meant what i said and i said what i meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!"
- "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
- "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
- "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
- "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."
- "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."